Can Dogs Get High?
As marijuana use becomes accepted in more U.S. states and even around the world, many people in the 60 million U.S. households that own a dog will partake in the ganja. And that’s OK, since it’s mostly legal now! But, stoner dog owners may wonder: Can their dogs get high? And, if so, is it harmful for them?
Before you make your furry BFF the Cheech to your Chong, here’s how pot affects your canine companion.
Can Dogs Get High?
The short answer is yes. There are three different ways your pooch can get high:
- By eating the marijuana buds and/or leaves
- By eating edible weed such as cookies and other treats
- Through secondhand smoke
Ingesting edible marijuana has the most powerful effect on a dog because it has a higher concentration of THC than marijuana buds or secondhand smoke.
If you prefer to smoke pot instead of eating it, you’re less likely to send your dog on a magic carpet ride if you’re puffing a small amount of smoke in a ventilated area. But, if you’re hotboxing with your furry loved one in the same room, they’ll get a contact high just like a human would. To play it safe, toke up outside or in a different room without your pooch. Also, never blow smoke in your dog’s face. That’s just cruel!
What Does Weed Do To A Dog?
If you’re uncertain whether your four-legged pal is high as a kite, look for these symptoms:
- Loss of balance
- Breathing problems
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower heart rate
- Dilated pupils
- Dribbling urine
The weight and body size of your dog is an important factor in how pot affects your furry friend. An 80-pound golden retriever will respond to pot differently than a 10-pound Boston terrier if they were to get into the same stash. For example, some dogs may pace around and become hyper-aware of their surroundings, almost to the point of paranoia.
Can My Dog Die From Weed?
The chances of your dog dying from marijuana are relatively slim because they would have to ingest a huge amount. However, dogs have very little restraint when it comes to eating, so it can be easy for them to eat too much weed. The risk is also higher if a small, old or sick dog eats a very large amount of edibles made with chocolate or other harmful ingredients. If your dog has (or you suspect they have) ingested weed, take them to a vet immediately.